Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sick Baby

Colton got sick for the first time after he finished up his second week of day care.  He woke up Sunday, July 29th, with a low grade fever.  We went to my moms around lunch and we all took turns snuggling him in front of a humidifier all day.  As the day went on his fever got worse; the highest it got was 102.0.  I called Monday to make an appointment with his pediatrician, and ended up making an appointment with another pediatrician in the office so he could be seen sooner.  Not even 5 minutes after being off the phone, their office called back and said I needed to take him to the Emergency Room right away and get him checked out since his fever was so high; they were worried it was something bad.  So I loaded him up and took him to the ER.  When we got there, the nurse was checking him over and told me they would do a full work up on him; blood work, urine samples, and a spinal tap.  I started to freak out, but stayed calm so I could wait and see what the doctor decided to do.  The doctor came in, and said that they weren't going to do all the tests first, that they would give him tylenol and see if that helped, and if so we could go home.  Luckily the tylenol worked!  They ruled he had an Upper Respiratory Infection and said to keep his fever down with tylenol and to keep him in front of the humidifier to help his congestion break up.  He ran a low fever the rest of that day, and stopped running fever Tuesday afternoon.  All was good, and I was going to give him a bath and get ready for bed since I was planning on returning to work the next day.  When I took his clothes off to give him a bath I noticed he had a flat red rash all over!!  I called the on call nurse and they talked with the on call pediatrician who said to call first thing in the morning and get it checked out; luckily since he wasn't running a fever we didn't have to take him to the ER that night.  His pediatrician said the rash was from his virus and not to be alarmed!  It was such a hectic week, but luckily we made it through!



Uncle Jacob came to visit sick Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment