Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Introducing Colton!!

Saturday night we were in bed about midnight and were watching TV.  We turned off the TV around 1am to go to sleep.  I got up to go to the restroom and felt a trickle.  I went to the restroom and more came out when I sat down...I was in a bit of disbelief or denial at first.  Then when I got up and walked a couple steps more and more came out.  I told Kyle we needed to go to the hospital and he got up, got dressed and go everything together.  I called the on call DR and she said to come in.  We got to the hospital and in the room by 2:15am and they checked me; I was 1.5cm and 90%.  Luckily, the nurse that did our birthing class was on call that night, and she requested to be my nurse!  So it was nice to see a familiar face and to feel like I could actually talk to her and ask questions when I got worried.  At 2:45am I got IV fluids and they started pitocin.  The contractions started getting worse and worse once the pit kicked in, but I was only 2cm at 4:30am.  The contractions then went from a 3 or 4 on a scale to 10 up to a 8 or 9 in less then 5 or 10 minutes.  The monitor I was hooked up to tracking my contractions went from them being around 4 to 8-10 from one contraction to the next one...that sucked!  My body was shaking uncontrollably from the pain when a contraction would start and tears were uncontrollably flowing down my face.  I wasn't sobbing, but the tears were just streaming down from the pain.  When my nurse came in I told her they got worse out of nowhere and she said that was the pit kicking in...it makes your contractions way worse to speed up the dilation process.  She asked if I wanted an epidural and I said yeah.  It took my saving angel (Dennis) a little bit to get it all together, but at 5am they gave me an epidural and at 5:30am I was a 3.  Once my epidural kicked in it was awesome!!  I didn't really care for not being able to control my legs, but I was able to actually rest and sleep so it was great.  At 6:20 they came in and gave me oxygen because Colton's heart rate dropped and they wanted to get his heart rate back up; I was on oxygen for about 25 minutes.  At 7:15 I was a 4 and at 7:30 I was a 5.  They checked me again so soon because his heart rate dropped again, and they wanted to insert a monitor directly into him and a catheter into my uterus to better track contractions.  I don't remember them coming in after that, but Kyle said they did...I was knocked out so I'm not sure either way.  Next thing I remember is them coming in around 9:30 and saying I was a 10 and 100% effaced, and asked if I was ready to have a baby!!  I was still half asleep and Kyle was laying on the couch from sleeping.  He got up, they broke the bed down and the pushing started.  The entire pushing process was nothing like I had imagined...it was actually way better.  I couldn't feel what I was doing, but just pushed like they told me to and they said I was doing great and was a great pusher! Who knew?!?  I guess my body knows what to do even if my mind thinks it doesn't.  Throughout the pushing process the dr and nurses were talking with us...actually laughing with us!  It was crazy!!  I would push during a contraction, then we would talk until the next one started, when it started I'd push, then the conversation would pick back up!  It was such a great experience, and I am so thankful we had the nurses and doctor that we had.  After a little bit of pushing, Colton made his was into the world at 10:18am!!  He was 7lb 14oz and 20.25 inches long :)  He had 10 fingers, 10 toes, and the cutest little nose!  I love him in a way that I cannot describe or express.  He is my everything...




1 comment: