Monday, April 22, 2013

West Explosion...

I try to think that I can keep Colton safe and can shelter him from any harm, but the past few days has really opened my eyes to realize that I cannot always protect him from everything because somethings are simply out of our control.  My little hometown was shaken the evening of April 17th when the West Fertilizer Plant exploded.  We live about 8 miles away from where the explosion happened and were unharmed with no damages to our home; others were not so lucky!  Thus far 14 have died, 10 of those being first responders that were on the scene when the explosion happened.  I hate reading online and in the paper and seeing names that I know, and seeing friendly familiar faces in the obituaries.  Among the buildings and homes that were destroyed was the Intermediate campus and the city park; the middle school and high school had damages as well and are under investigation to test their structural integrity.  As I looked through the pictures I couldn't help but feel saddened that Colton would never attend that campus, that he would never get to play on the playground that the FFA students built for the city when I was a member.  I know all of these things will be rebuilt, but it just saddens me; and is petty considering some friends lost it all--my best friends parents believe they have lost their home, but have been unable to get back to it yet to truly assess the damages.  Seeing these things on TV make it feel unreal; this does not happen to us.  Stuff like this happens to other people in other towns, not our sweet quite town. Chris Low definitely said it best in this song he wrote for the town; Shaken Not Stirred.  Despite the chaos, my best friend got married Saturday in a beautiful ceremony!  I know it was difficult for her, but everyone needed some time away from the chaos; especially her family since they have possibly lost their home.  She was a beautiful bride, and the day definitely served as a pleasant distraction for all in attendance :)

Life will go on, it just may be a little different and look a little different.  Our ground was shaken, but our faith was not stirred!





The park is the ground area in the middle of the picture,
and the apartment complex it just the the left of that.
Intermediate Campus

No comments:

Post a Comment